Friday, March 6, 2009

Gifted vs. Disabled



In the article Autism and Education, a single mom talks about the pressures of bringing up two very different children. One is is servery autistic and one is unusually gifted. She is very grateful about all the care that her son receives for his autism but she feels that her gifted daughter should get the same. I definitely agree with this mom; schools could do a lot more to help gifted students reach their full potential. I think that I also agree with this mom and feel like I am a part of a similar situation. I have a learning disability and my brother is one of the smartest people I know. My brother, Zac, taught himself to solve a rubix cube in less than 2 minutes in less than 3 days. He picked up the guitar and learned how to play all the chords and read tabs in a week. In school, however, Zac knows how to do the bare minimum to get an A. He does not push him self and slides right on by. Me on the other hand, used to get pulled out to work on reading, wring, and math in elementary school, and am now on a program that allows me to have accommodations. It is really easy to see the students, like myself, how need the help but what about the students that just slide by like my brother. The education system needs to start recognizing them as well. Awareness is the first step.

No comments:

Post a Comment